So, as the tittle of the post says, I'm going to talk a bit about a few ideas I had about what to get that special missionary in your life.
As I was scouring the internet a couple of weeks ago for the perfect present, I got a message from Elder Peterson. I had asked about what he wanted for Christmas, and he had replied that there wasn't anything in particular that he wanted, but that he was still the same person as he was when he was at home, so if I found something that I think he would love, I should get that. Lucky for me, we have very similar, very nerdy tastes, so finding him a gift would be easy. So gals, just think about things that he's in to, and go off your instincts. Hopefully you know enough about him to know whether or not he'll like something, and hey, if he suggests things for you to get, that's even better! That way you know he'll love it
Might I also recommend getting a gift that has a use, it can be a titanium spork, or a football tie clip, as long as he can use it while he's on his mission, you're good to go. You don't want to give him something that he'll have to lug around as dead weight for 2 years before he can use it.
I know that as a poor college student, my funds are very limited on what I can spend on my Christmas shopping, so I also had to keep that in mind while looking. But I also got some advice from a very wise woman who told me to "send him something to let him know you care". Remember when you were little and you always made the silliest homemade gifts for your family? Well... They aren't lying when they say "it's the thought that counts". For me, not having a large amount of funds meant that I had to get creative. So make him a homemade card with a special encouraging message, or sew him a new tie. Really anything you send will be appreciated and cherished.Another thing to make sure of is to make sure that you don't make them too trunky with whatever you decide to do. It's good to let them know that you care, and that you are there to support them, but just make sure that you don't go to over-the-top with mushiness.
Well, if you're wondering what I finally decided to get Elder Peterson, I'll tell you, but it's super cheesy and dorky, so don't judge me lol. I got him a doodle frame, it's a picture frame with 80 sheets of paper around it that you can draw on and tear off if you wish. So I decided to put a picture of us in the middle, and to draw on every page o.O Crazy, I know. I'm still not done, but I've started it, so we'll see how this goes. I'm decorating it with silly, funny, random things that he'll find entertaining. There's also a few with inspirational quotes, and some with a little note from me to him. I also got him a little light up Star Trek emblem thingy lol, it's silly but he'll like it :) (pictures to come soon)That's all for now, I hope that helped a little, if you have any other ideas and/or questions, feel free to post. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
-Katy
Katy - We just got done skyping with Jason. I want you to know that when we asked him what he got from you he pulled the Star Trek emblem out of his front pocket and played with it / held it the entire time we talked. He also said that the very best thing he got was the picture frame. He absolutely loves it! You did such a good job of remembering who he is and letting him know that you care! :)
ReplyDelete