Sunday, December 25, 2011

Things that help me through the rough times...

My mom, she helps me so much. She understands when I'm hurting and she empathizes with me. When I cry, she cries, when I smile, she smiles. I know people always say that "when mom ain't happy ain't nobody happy" but I think that a mother feels what her children are going through and has a type of "sympathy pain" for how they feel.
Tonight I looked at her and started crying because I miss Elder Peterson, (I don't cry very often any more, but sometimes it's hard to be strong) the moment my eyes filled with tears, hers did as well. When I told her that I miss him, she hugged me and told me that she knew, she understood more fully than any one else could. She really understands my heart, and I think she knows it better than I do.
I am so lucky to have that support system behind me. I don't know if I'm a special case, but I think that there have got to be some more great moms out there. So if times get hard, go to her, or some other strong understanding figure in your life. Someone who will just hold you and cry with you. It really helps.

Speaking of mothers, I am so blessed that Elder Peterson has such an amazing mother and family. They send me emails, cards, letters, and I even got a package from them for Christmas. Keeping in touch with them has made such a difference! They have helped me through some of my roughest patches without even knowing it, I am truly blessed.
I know that maybe not everyone has these ideal circumstances, but if you can, try to stay in touch with your missionary's family, it really can help you to feel a little more connected. They know what you are going through too, chances are they miss him just as much as you do. Plus, you might develop some great relationships that you will cherish for the rest of your life, trust me, I know. I've often found myself talking about Elder Peterson's family as if they were my own. It can help so much to keep in touch.

Recognizing the joy that the gospel brings to my life, and realizing that he is out bringing that same joy into the lives of so many who do not have it is something that always helps me to get through. When I take a moment to ponder on this and to also ponder on the joy that the gospel can bring into my life every day, it helps me to be humble and to realize that the work that he is doing is much bigger than myself, that he is giving his time to the Lord and His plan. He is helping others to have joy and is impacting the lives of many people for generations. Missionary work is truly a wonderful thing, and when I understand its significance, I am better able to understand that the Lord wants all of his children to be happy, and that includes me.
Gaining a testimony of missionary work has been a very vital part of me being able to get through the rough times. If you take the time to try and understand why your missionary is out serving the lord, it will help you to endure with more patients and joy. Reading Preach My Gospel has had a great effect on my understanding of the work, and also reading about the different missionaries in the scriptures. I also find that when I seek for opportunities to share the gospel, I start to love missionary work more. So give it a try, pray about it and search it out, the lord will help you.

What are some things that help you to get through those rough times? Please share! :)

-Katy

No comments:

Post a Comment